Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Adventures in being married

I haven't been married for long, just over three months to be exact, so I'm pretty sure I can't start doling out advice to singles or couples of any status... But I can tell my little stories to amuse myself, and maybe someone else that takes a peek at this along the way.

So like I said last week, we moved back to the lake from Josh's grandparents house. It was nice to be in town, but sometimes it is more relaxing to be settled among your own mess and your own stuff. Do you know what I mean? We've spent so much time shuffling back and forth for the last year we never know where we are going to be for sure from one week to the next. Josh and I go where the wind goes. Our stuff is still spread out among three houses. The lake, my mom's and Josh's parents.

Oh, and there are a few "borrowed" items of mine and Josh's that were left behind in Germany. Ahem, a movie of mine that someone snatched from Josh's room in the barracks, and Josh's Mallorca T-shirt.

*Danae, if you see a red t-shirt with a black bull on it, that says Mallorca, can you let me know. Josh won't let it go. He's truly depressed over the fact that someone snatched it from his room. I really don't think Domingo would be wearing it:)*

Back to the "move back" We decided to unload only part of the stuff from my car, which might I add, I had packed up ALL of the stuff myself, and loaded into the car. My beautiful husband had his little in-grown toe nails removed so his toes hurt. I feel bad, but seriously, I had to load heavy things back into the car while he played video games on his laptop. He'd wave to me every time I struggled to carry another load out to the car. Ah, husbands, what would we do without them?

Like I was saying, we decided to leave part of the load in the car, so we didn't have such a mess in our house, a small area might I add, it's a lake house, it's not supposed to be huge. Where does it get thrown? Not in the rooms it will end up in, no... no... no. Why would we try to create less work for your wife? Nope, it gets thrown right in the middle of the "living room/ dining room/ kitchen floor. I love it!

Messes are my absolute favorite. I love to clean, don't get me wrong, but I just hate unpacking and cleaning up after we've been somewhere. Is anyone else with me? I cleaned up both loads by myself... It took me two days. Ladies, you know how I feel, and yes, sometimes I feel sorry for myself. You know how it is. Then when I ask for help to clean up something, I'm a mean person! :)

But there are some days when I am the nicest person in the world. Yesterday was one of those days. Josh's birthday is tomorrow, March 5th, last year, I didn't get to spend his birthday with him. Josh was in Germany, and I was at home, the story of our relationship. I would arrive 11 days later. This year, we are together, it's so nice to be able to say that we have spent the special times together. It's a hard thing to say when you are a girlfriend, fiancee, or wife of a soldier. So, this year, I wanted to get something good, something he would be surprised about, but what would I get him? He mentioned something about undershirts, and something about a cool first aid kit that he saw on an army supply website. What kind of gifts are those, if you really wanted them that bad, go buy a bag of undershirts! What a boring gift for me to give.

I totally didn't plan to ruin my love life with the present I gave Josh yesterday, but it was something he wanted so badly, something he knew he absolutely wouldn't get. That unreachable gift that you ask for knowing there is no way your wife would get it for her, not if she is in her right mind anyway. I decided on a whim to get him that gift that every guy wants... I caved against my better judgment and I got him an XBOX 360. What was I thinking. As I'm buying it at Best Buy yesterday. It was a joint give from my mom and me, I was kissing goodbye quiet nights relaxing at the lake, and cuddling up watching movies together because we don't have cable or internet. Goodbye peace and quiet, hello Call of Duty 37 or whatever number they are at, and hello it the electronic sounds of men yelling orders and gun shots. Ah, silence is fleeting.

I am reminded that I am a wonderful wife everyday, but yesterday, I made his year, and his birthday by buying him a small box that I believe somehow drains knowledge from your brain! I felt good yesterday, great actually. I am wife of the year. And it only cost $450 dollars to get to that point! And I'm ahead of the game, not even four months married! Have I hit my amazing wife peak? I hope not:) He asked if that means I want diamonds for my birthday this year. I said, well, twenty one is pretty big. I'm always up for diamonds... any jewelry is good to, but I won't be disappointed if I'm not swimming in diamonds and pearls come August:) I didn't do it so I could get something out of giving him a good gift. I gave it to him to make him happy, to see him completely excited.

That's what we do as wives, we think of our husbands first. We aren't just living for ourselves anymore. I think we as women learn more quickly that a marriage is not a me thing, but a we thing... An us thing... Decisions are no longer about one, they are about two. Helping Josh learn that has been a task, a task that is sometimes fruitless, but one day, I think he will come around... It takes longer for men I think, to see what we see. Here's to women! It's beautiful being one isn't?! Hard but beautiful. Aren't we amazing?

Have a blessed day!

Alyssa

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin