Monday, March 10, 2008

It's About The Journey

Have I complained about Monday's before? I'm sure I have. Like 99% of the population, I love the weekend 1,000 times more than I love the weekday. I start to get sad on Sundays because the week is starting. Why do I let Mondays bother me so much? Why do any of us let Monday's bother us so much? Is it worth it? No. But I still take part in the whining when Monday rolls around.

Nothing to exciting happened this weekend, nothing really worth talking about. I had an epiphany at work on Friday while I was getting snack ready for the kids. That painting that I couldn't figure out just came to me while I was busy. I sat down really quick before the school aged kids got there, and sketched out my work as fast as a I could and as well as I could. They walked in the door just as I was finishing. Good thing I had my sketch book with me. Isn't it strange that things come to you at such odd times.

Josh's friends came up to our house this weekend to have a boys night. I thought sleepovers stopped when you got married, I could be totally wrong, though. I've only been married for 3 and a half months, I don't know much about being married, only a few things:). Anyway, the boys saw the start of my underpainting, and asked me all sorts of questions about painting. I know nothing about painting, other than I like paint, and I like to paint. I took an art class in high school that was drawing the first quarter of the year, and painting the second quarter. That was my senior year, I did band the other three years, I should have taken art instead. I know a little bit about painting, but my teacher was there basically to tell us she was a terrific artist, and to watch us do it ourselves, but never really teach us how to do it. I loved her work, but I don't remember her teaching me anything. Everything I learned was self taught, and I didn't self teach myself much. I taught myself enough to get an A+ at the end of the year.

So, I know nothing of the rules of painting. I do what I want, and do it my way. It's that way with most things. I'm a fly by the seat of my pants, figure it out by trial and error way. I teach myself, but I learn things best by experimenting, not reading about it.

How do you learn? There are so many different ways to learn. I could be told how to do something 124 times and not understand until I see someone do it.

Anyway, since I started painting last week at the begining of the week, my painting has changed at least three times. Oh the beauty of art. We can change our minds, and develop one concept so many different times. My piece may be completely different from when I started. The end product is so gratifying, but the journey is just as beautiful. Isn't that true about so many things?

Have a blessed Monday!

Alyssa

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin