Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bathroom: Before and After

Have I ever said how much I like before and after's? I'm so excited to post my own! I was going to wait til next week, due to the fact that one of the photos in the bathroom has yet to be officially chosen, cropped and placed in the frame. The original plan was to frame a Roman Holiday poster that we purchased on our trip to Rome while we were living in Germany in 2007.

But because the bathroom is so small, and moisture collects so quickly, I need something that won't be totally upsetting if it gets ruined. So with that decision made I was on a quest to find something else to frame.

For the last couple years I have been collecting LIFE magazine's Great Photographer's Issues. I only have 3, so I guess its not much of a collection. I missed out on Jackie O's issue which was out until just recently. But I do have in my possesion, Audrey Hepburn, Frank Sinatra, and Grace Kelly's issue. I knew there had to be something in one of those I wanted on my wall. I hated to cut out a page, but I'm cheap and didn't want to buy something that I knew might get damp.

Josh has the weirdest things that are really important to him, and it was really important to him that the photo that will hang in the bathroom not be black and white (it would go with the rest of the bathroom though). So I picked out the photo below, which is one of my all time favorites of Grace Kelly, one that I have posted on the blog before. I love thi vintage look, with hints of red in the photo, so even if it doesn't totally work, we both agreed upon the photo, and I can't wait to hang it!
Onto the rest of the room. When Josh and I bought this house, every room was (and still is) painted a taupe color. It's not an awful color, just totally not our style. The only room in the house that was a different color was the bathroom. The bathroom was painted a cucumber/mint green that had to go.

Painting walls is not my forte, so I thought painting the small bathroom would be a good start. The bathroom is so small that a bright color is needed, so it doesn't make the room seem even smaller. I'm not a pastel girl, and there was no way Josh was going for a bright color, so that left me with white. Let me tell you, I've always been against having white walls, but I had a goal in mind.

Black, Red and White is a combo that is always in mind. It encompasses just about everything we own, right down to the pot holders in the kitchen. I decided to pain the wood (the moldings, cabinet, and medicine cabinet frame) black, I wasn't feeling the wood color in the bathroom, and by doing that it toned down the red hues in the tile on the floor.

After I painted the room which was Behr's "Fallen Snow" black is Behr's "Black Suede." It was too bright. I'd turn on the light in the morning and be blinded. I added the black shower curtain (the only other purchase besides the paint) to tone down the blinding light.

Everything else in the bathroom has been repurposed from a different room. The frame above the window was repurposed, and the towels were purchased for a newborn session I did a year ago. The vase was a gift, and the candles were purchased during the storm last year. These items may be just temporary, I'm going to dig through our wedding stuff to see if there is anything that I can use for the bathroom. The Metro print in the frame was taken by moi on our trip to Paris and was a last minute attachment to a clients print order.

There are still a few more things that need to be done in the room, but overall, I love it:)

Sorry the quality of the photos aren't great. The room is so small I was practically standing on my head to take these! I hope you enjoy my before and after!

Hopefully there will be more rooms to show off soon! As money and time permits:)

Bathroom Before:




Bathroom After:










No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin