Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Completely At Peace... If Only For Just A Few Minutes

Lately things have been so hectic, I feel like I'm a chicken running around with my head cut off. I love it, really. That feeling of adrenaline (will I get everything done I need to do today)? Usually, the answer is no. Today is no different. There always seems to be a reason why something hasn't gotten done. Today it was, "I can't get my Session Guide emailed to my clients for this weekend, and the ones next week because my computer is in the shop, and I can't remember what I wrote in the first one. But I did look for apartments, check emails, write my client, go to the doctor (boo), and have dinner with my husband, my brother and mom. I have my priorities straight. Is the kitchen clean? No, is the living room picked up? Sort of. The paper the cat tore up all over has been vacuumed, but the vacuum is still sitting against the wall where I'm sure it will take up residence for a few days. I'm not strong enough to lift if out of the living room, and up into the hall. No, Josh won't do it either... So there it will sit. :)

Yesterday was the busiest day I've had so far this week. I flew to Boise at 8:45 A.M. finished cleaning the apartment, and was back on a plane flying home at 8:00 P.M. I flew at the two best times to fly. My flight home was probably the best flight I've been on. I was exhausted, my feet were killing me, and I was irritated at the three guys who had been sitting behind me at the gate because they had been talking about the opinion of their vote in the upcoming election. There must have been 20 of us hovered around the t.v. at the gate watching the Presidential Debate. I cared what Obama and McCain had to say, not Joe blow behind me. I just wanted to get my flight over, and get home to see my husband. I am so tired of flying that I would walk to Boise if it didn't take me a decade. Needless to say, I was in an alright mood, but that could have changed at the drop of a hat. My head was frantic figuring out what had to come next, when I could get to sleep, and what had to happen tomorrow.


We took off from the tarmac, my favorite part of the flight, and I peered out the window at the sky. I love looking down at the houses, all the lights. Everything seems so small. It give you a sense of greatness. What we do is important, but at the same time our lives in this immediate space is so small. And when I saw the sky, my breath was taken away. I have seen my fair share of gorgeous sunsets, but this one had to be the top. I've seen it in Monet's "Dusk" painting, but have never experienced it myself. It's a sight that is impossible to tear yourself away from. It's my favorite Monet painting! Something about the reds and blues and the peacefulness of it all calmed me and spoke peace into my heart. All of the worries I had went away and the only thing I heard were the sweet words of John Hiatt coming from my ipod. I was completely enveloped. I could live those few moments forever.


I had this odd sense that no matter what I get done and don't, or what happens during the day God will make sure everything is just as it should be. I felt like this sunset was a secret for me, something only I saw, anyone else could see it, if only they had peeked out their windows to see. It was a reminder of saying to me, "Look at what I have created, and look at what I have given to you... All of this is for you." It's for all of us really. What an amazing gift.Sometimes I find it hard to stop and look around with so many worries, and so many tasks to do. I'm glad I took the time to look.


Have a blessed night. Remember to take a few minutes to enjoy what God gave us!


Alyssa

1 comment:

Beka said...

I look forward to your blogs. I am glad your quick trip went well and I love your picture you posted. God is amazing and I belive it is important to slow down every once and awhile and enjoy the life all around us. I love you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin