Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Cooking and Baking Misadventures

So I haven't written in what seems like forever. To tell you the truth, I have absolutely nothing to talk about. My life, is pretty dull at the moment. I keep busy during the day, but I have nothing going on that is at all worth writing about. I have been diligent in learning how to cook, and everyday I get the thumbs up of approval from Josh, but today was just not my day for baking or cooking. I don't know what it was today, maybe God looked down on me this morning, and said, "No, you will burn everything you try to make today..." And that is exactly what happened. Why? WHY??! I've been feeling so triumphant these passed few weeks. I've been spending my time looking at food blogs, food websites, and writing down recipes. My problem? Well aside from not being able to cook, this kitchen is so small with so little counter space I'd prefer too cut and prep my food on the floor, if not for the unsanitary aspect.
I've seriously thought about tearing out a wall and fashioning some sort of makeshift counter even MacGyver would be proud of. Yes, it would be made of only chewed bubble gum, sewing thread and duct tape, and it would be the most pristine indestructable counter anyone has ever seen. Don't ask me how I will do it, MacGyver doesn't tell his secrets, and neither do I. I don't know how I come up with these masterpieces... They just happen. I guess I should start watching old episodes to get tips...
Anyway, I tried to bake first today. I ran my errands that I do everyday after I escaped this dungeon we so affectionately call an apartment, and made my way home to bake some super yummy looking peanut butter and chocolate bars that I saw on a website that I found via a blog that I love. I am a blog stalker. I admit this readily. I love, love, love blogs. I have a small handful that I visit everyday, numerous times a day, just to see if something has been updated. I really need to find another hobby. But, to my defense, if you checked out these blogs that I visit everyday, you would be hooked on the endless creativity of these people. I am amazed, seeing something new and creative makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Enough of that. I found this websited called tastespotting.com, awesome, check it out.
I picked out a recipe that I thought Josh would like, and looked easy enough. Peanut Butter and Chocolate Bars, or something like that. There were five ingredients, and probably 3 steps to this recipe. Three steps that a four year old on a sugar high could have figured out. No cooking in the oven required. Simple! Yes, my kind of deal. So I decided to take a stab at it. You would have thought I blind folded myself or something...
Now, let me tell you, I am probably the slowest baker/chef ever created. It takes me a half an hour to do something that should take mere seconds. Leave it to Alyssa Lillegard to drag out something so easy into an hour ordeal. I am a master chef... No really, I am. After taking 15 minutes to get 3/4 of a cup of crushed graham crackers, I proceeded to make the chocolate topping. This "oh-so-challenging" topping was just semi-sweet chocolate chips that needed to be melted. Piece of cake! Everything was going perfectly fine until I turned around for a milisecond and burned (excuse my language) the hell out of the chocolate. I thought maybe I could salvage it, but when I looked at it, it was all grainy,and smelled like smoke. I won't have anymore than one piece, but I figured Josh wouldn't want his Peanut Butter bars to taste like charcoal with a tiny flavorful hint of chocolate. I wanted to taste the chocolate to see how bad it tasted, I thought it was cooled down, but no it was scalding, so I really burned my finger, and what do you do when your finger is burnt? Stick it in your mouth, and that's what I did. So I burned my tongue too, which is the worst. Of course, I didn't buy any more chocolate chips because I've never messed up while baking, only cooking. Messing up that is a frequent. I made my way to the grocery store. Finally, I finished the second batch of bars, and I am pretty happy how they turned out. They taste better chilled in the refrigerator, although it only calls for them to cool and sit.
Fiasco two for the day started early with my Cous Cous stuffed chicken with sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, and feta cheese. The other day I saw the recipe and thought perfect, I had all the indredients for this recipe except for three, so I was happy I wouldn't have to go spend a whole bunch of money. I quickly came to find out that again, I didn't have enough room in this kitchen that is the size of our walk-in closet. Again I had the vision of constructing that counter... But of course I had no gum, I'd have to go all the way back to the grocery store to get some. I wasn't up for that. I burned the garlic, and the sun dried tomatoes, so I gave up, called it a night and we had leftovers for dinner. Maybe I will try the chicken recipe tomorrow. I didn't have the energy, or the confidence to try again! Anyway, the second batch of bars was successful, here's a picture!

I added a little bit of chocolate drizzle for looks!

Have a blessed day!

Alyssa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, have I been there! I always pick recipes that require me to chop and mince a bunch of veggies and garlic and it takes me like a half hour to do it. Hopefully that gets better with practice lol. You know what's funny though? I made those same peanut butter chocolate bars just a few weeks ago. I think we're reading eachother's minds lol. But yeah, when I first met Daniel, I was living at a tiny ass apartment in Olypmia (next to Kendra lol) and I decided I'd cook him a great chicken dinner. I had made the chicken before in the oven but this time I wanted to use the skillet to keep more moisture in the meat...yeah it didnt happen. The chicken literally caught on fire from the oil and the searing heat (I thought the hotter the skillet the better lol). The smoke alarm went off, which is so loud the entire apartment complex hears it. I had to open all the doors and windows to air out the place. Daniel walked in not 3 minutes later with a terrified look on his face. I was in tears saying, "I tried to make you dinner but I almost burned the apartment down!" lol, he was so sweet about it. He ate all the black chicken and the crappy side salad and even went for seconds. That's when I knew I had a winner :) Dont stop cooking woman! We all have our days. Ohh I love couscous, its pretty much foolproof too! Enjoy!

Love,
Nicole

Blog Widget by LinkWithin