Thursday, May 14, 2009

House Hunting

It's a truth universally acknowledged that men and women are completely different. Yes, yes, we are all humans, and all function pretty much the same way, but there are huge glaring differences. This is so true in just about everything Josh and I come across in our marriage. We have differing opinions on most things. The things that really matter we agree on, but some times I really do wonder what's up! Sometimes I swear we disagree on something just to disagree.

When I was little I always dreamed of living in an old house with coved ceilings, and hardwood floors. I wanted a huge colonial style house with long tree lined driveway (I should have grown up in the south). Dreams of an enormous house gave way to a more practical way of thinking: more space means more crap to fill the space, and like I've said before, while in Germany, I learned the value of streamlining. I've decided I don't need a house, just something that I love and is cozy.

So going with the statement made earlier, Josh and I disagree on what we want from a house. Ultimately we want the same thing. I'm pretty sure he's all for the colonial, old style house, he just doesn't want the house to be located near the lake like all the the older homes are.

Josh wants a yard, I want to be in the middle of everything, and with that comes limited space. Josh wants spread out, I'd like two stories. I want to live by the lake, Josh wants to live out further. I'm looking for character, built ins, and secret hiding spaces, and Josh is looking for practicality. And practical I am usually not.

So we after looking at some real doozies, with horrendous smelling carpets, and awful floor plans, one with countless rooms that had linoleum flooring, jungles for yards, and scary neighborhoods with homemade signs claiming there will be justice and punishment for crimes, we found two that we like, and hope to put an offer down on one within the next couple of days.

And they couldn't be more different... Of course...

Both houses are great. They even each other out well, what one house doesn't have the other does, it's just deciding what we can live without, and what we have to have. Mine has amazing curb appeal, it has my coved ceilings, hardwood floors, and its next to the lake.

Josh's pick has 4 bedrooms 2.5 baths, an a two car garage.

But mine would look so awesome with Christmas lights, and a little Christmas tree by the fireplace. And it would look WAY better with the whole decor idea I've got going. I'm really, really into aesthetics... I'm stressed to the max, slowly accepting the fact that I won't be getting the house that I prefer, and succumbing to the fact that we will choose practicality over attractiveness. One good thing about being completely two different personalities, we even each other out. Where Josh is laid back, I'm more passionate, and where I'm more stressed, he is the voice of confidence. And where I am idealistic, he brings in a little realism.

I've tried not to get too attached to the idea of a cute little house (not so little 4 bedrooms), but its just so exciting! I've picked out paint colors for the master bedroom, which could really go in any type of house, it would just look cuter (is that a word?) in my pick!

So what would you choose? Attractiveness both inside and out, downtown, or practicality with more bathrooms and a little more elbow room?

Oh the dilemma

have a great rest of the week!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin