Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I've decided to pull myself away from the stresses of number crunching and planning to talk about a topic that always brightens my day: Houses. I love the little apartment we are calling home right now, I tell Josh how much I love it everyday, I get up in the morning and smile because, while it is definitely small and we can't paint all the funky colors I want to paint the walls, it is cozy, and cute, and just fine for this stage of our lives. I love apartments, I have always wanted to have a funky brick apartment in the middle of a city where I could sip tea on my balcony, and walk wherever I wanted to. That dream of living in the middle of things has never come true, and I have accepted the fact that it won't by now... Being that we live in an area of Washington where the big city is 40 minutes away, and we are out here in the land of 4x4's and dirt. That's okay, I can adapt. I've lived in a small town my entire life, my dreams of living in Tuscany aren't looking like they will come to fruition either. But we are young, things can change I guess? :)


Anyway, aside from being a fan of apartments, I adore homes as well. There is nothing like a wonderful old home. The only thing I don't like about old homes? My first thought is always, "Who was killed, or died in this home? And why hasn't anyone bought it yet?" Apparently I have watched to many horror movies with creepy old houses, and creepy half dead people meandering around. My imagination is at the least VERY wild, and always gets the better of me. These were the first words I said when Josh and I went to look at a home that I have decided I am all for buying. The only other problem, it's $20,000 over budget. Pshh... What's $20,000 these days? I've never even touched $20,000. I'm praying the price goes down a bit... It won't go down $20,000 but I can dream. It needs some fixing up, but it has the potential to be glorious, and I'm all up for the design challenge. I already have my paint colors picked out for the exterior, and the "parlor.

Anyway, I like I was saying, I LOVE HOMES, Love them. And like I said, I have a special place in my heart for old homes... Aside from the creepy dead people hanging out in the attic or basement... Blah. I also like interior design, and if I had a knack for measurements and such, I would definitely want to be an interior designer. Only problem? I have such random style that I'm afraid I don't know what goes with what, so I would have to decorate everyone's home in the eclectic style of old and new that I love.

I would "Alyssafy" it and clients would find that there is crap absolutely everywhere, probably stuff that I would think is awesome, and they would never be caught dead having in their home. Josh and I have similar tastes, but more often than not, we find ourselves disagreeing about something I like and he refuses to have in our home. Like that zebra print chair I wanted, that in fact won't go with that ugly mustard chair we have from my grandma's house, but is still sitting at the store that I found it at. I've been told no to a huge number of things, most of them being colors I have chosen to repaint old furniture and such. I have been told no to eggplant purple, no to anything that has turquoise in it, and no to that awesome jute rug I found at World Market that I bought anyway...

So here are a few homes that I would definitely spend my days in, and would love to have a family in! Enjoy:)




























1. washington spaces 2. about.com 3. wacovb.com

4. sonic.net 5. apartment therapy 6. grand canyon log homes

What kind of homes do you like? Have a wonderful day!

Alyssa

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin